A boy everyone calls “Butter” is about to make Scottsdale High history. He’s going to eat himself to death live on the Internet – and everyone will watch.
He announces his deadly plan to an army of peers and expects pity, insults or even indifference. Instead, he finds morbid encouragement.
When that encouragement tips the scales into popularity, Butter has a reason to live. But if he doesn’t go through with his plan, he’ll lose everything.
- 2016 Abraham Lincoln Masterlist (islma)
- 2016 Nevada Young Readers Award nominee (NYRA)
- 2015-2016 Iowa High School Book Award nominee (IASL)
- 2015 Sakura Medal winner! (SMB)
- 2015 High School Sequoyah Masterlist (OLA)
- Waterstones Children’s Book Prize nominee 2014 (W)
- 2014-2015 South Carolina Young Adult Book Award nominee (studysc)
- 2014 Blue Hen Book Award nominee (delawarelibraries)
- 2014 TAYSHAS List (TLA)
- 2013 Teens’ Top Ten Pick (YALSA)
TEACHERS! A study guide for BUTTER is available. (Produced by: Rachele Alpine – MFA, National Board certified Teacher, Author) To request the guide, please click on the “contact” tab above and fill out the email form. Please include your name and the name of your school.
“Using current, hot-button topics–cyberbullying, obesity, and teen suicide–the author weaves a compelling tale sure to draw teens in.” – School Library Journal STARRED Review
“Lange’s emotionally expansive first novel is dark, funny, painful, and powerful.” – Publishers Weekly
“When does an Internet dare go too far? Erin Jade Lange tackles a timely topic with a hefty dose of in-your-face intensity, tempered by the droll sense of humor from an unexpectedly fierce narrator. Butter’s voice is loud, funny and unapologetic. I cared deeply for him and found myself rooting for him to find a way out of the mess he’d made.”
– Daisy Whitney, author of THE MOCKINGBIRDS
“A clever, tender and emotional page-turner! Butter’s sharp and witty narrative had me laughing out loud on one page and broke my heart just as easily on the next. Debut author Erin Jade Lange proves she knows how to tell a story and this is one I won’t be forgetting any time soon.”
– Courtney Summers, author of SOME GIRLS ARE and THIS IS NOT A TEST
Publisher: Bloomsbury (Sept. 4, 2012)